The Best Deep Fryer Of 2017: A Complete Guide
French fries, crispy chicken, and deep fried seafood can be easy to achieve with the help of a deep fryer. However, choosing one in the supermarket can be a bit overwhelming because of many available brands. In this article, I’ll help you find the best deep fryer that can bring the best value for your budget.
There’s a variety of deep fryers to select depending on your budget and cooking needs. Some fryers may particularly have large frying baskets to cater the meat lovers, while others are made for general use.
For your convenience, I’ll round up five of the most popular deep fryers on the market and review their features in detail.
If you are interested in other kitchen gadgets, refer here: Best Choises
Types Of Deep Fryers
There are three types of deep fryers that you might encounter on the market today:
1. Electric Deep Fryer
What you’ll come across are usually electric deep fryers. They’re the safest to use, but not all of them offer the same results. Many of this type are on a smaller size, so if you want to fry something larger, like a whole turkey, you’ll have to spend on the more expensive models.
2. Propane Deep Fryer
The propane deep fryer is popular with many home chefs because it can make crispier foods and the oil heats up faster than its electric counterparts. However, this can be risky if you don’t know how to take proper precautions.
You should also have to deal with the storage and refilling of propane tanks, which can get pretty annoying sometimes.
3. Oil-Less Deep Fryers
This type of deep fryer uses much less oil, usually a tablespoon of oil. This makes it a healthy option for those who don’t deal with large amounts of cooking oil. This can either be run by propane or electricity.
Tips In Using The Deep Fryer
- For best frying results, use an unrefined oil with a high smoke point like soybean, sunflower, canola, and extra light olive oil.
- Try to use an oil thermometer even if your deep fryer has a built-in thermostat. This is the best way to be certain of the correct temperature.
- Fry in small batches and give the food room to work together.
Here’s a sample recipe video on how to make fried chicken in a deep fryer.
What To Look For Buying Your Best Deep Fryer
• Adjustable Thermostat
An adjustable thermostat will let you choose the heat level you want. You can decrease or increase the temperature to properly cook specific foods. This feature can be designed as a digital control or a dial.
• Oil And Food Capacity
To select the best deep fryer, you need to look at two capacities: oil capacity and food capacity. The oil capacity determines the highest volume of oil that a deep fryer can accommodate. The larger the oil capacity gets, the better it is because you can fry more foods at once.
Food capacity, on the other hand, indicates the maximum amount of food that the equipment can fry in one time. The larger the food capacity gets, the better it is because you can cook more food in one setting.
• Convenient Features
If you like to fry different foods separately at once, look for more baskets. A power light indicator will make you certain whether the unit is plugged in correctly. To eliminate any guesswork, look for a ready light which will indicate when the fryer has reached the maximum temperature setting.
Look for a built-in timer to set the time for frying and will notify you when the time has expired. A viewing window is also convenient to watch the food while cooking. It would also be great if the unit has a filter to reduce the smell of frying in your kitchen.
• Ease Of Cleaning
Keep in mind that you’ll be dealing with cooking oil and different types of food. That’s why you need to look for a unit that’s easy to clean and maintain. If possible, look for a unit that’s easy to disassemble so you can clean faster.
To cut the cleaning time, it would be desirable if there are dishwasher-safe parts. The cooking surface should be made of nonstick material, so food will be easily released. Those fryers with nonstick surface are rated higher than those without.
You know how a deep fryer can get hot when cooking. To prevent your hand from burns, look for a unit that has the coolest sides or the least exterior temperature. Seek for a splatter-free lid to prevent accidental burns from splattering hot oil.
A magnetic safety cord is more desirable over traditional connectors because you can pull off the unit easily, especially in the event of a grease fire. The bottom of the unit should have non-slip feet at the base to remain stable while in use.
A warranty will set your mind at peace whenever your deep fryer becomes defective. You can get it replaced or repaired within such given time. Most manufacturers offer a one-year warranty, but if you can find a longer warranty, it would be better.
Reviews Of The Top 5 Best Deep Fryer
Here are the reviews of the five deep fryers. They are rated according to the features that I look for above.
1. T-fal FR8000 Oil Filtration EZ 3.5-Liter
The T-fal FR8000 has a 3.5-liter oil capacity that can hold up 2.65-pounds of food capacity. You can prevent finger burns with its stay-cool handles. The one-step drainage system and dishwasher-safe parts make the cleanup fast and easy.
The operation is easy with its 2-position basket and thanks to its immersed heating element, you can produce healthier frying results. What I love best about this unit is its patented oil filtration system which automatically drains and filters oil. The oil filter is then stored and ready for future use.
- Easy to clean and use
- Uses a unique oil filtration system
- Made of nonstick interior surface
- Heats up quickly and remains hot
- The lid has a viewing window for easy monitoring of food
- Has an adjustable thermostat for frying at the right temperature
- Features a one-year limited warranty
- It would have been perfect if the frying space were a little deeper
- The plastic reservoir may leak oil everywhere, especially after you drain the oil
- A bit expensive
2. Secura 1700-Watt
The Secura Electric Deep Fryer is a stainless steel unit that comes with three fry baskets. Specifically, it includes two side-by-side baskets for smaller batches and one large basket for bigger batches. It has a full filter to reduce the smell of frying.
This fryer is built with a clear window lid to monitor the food while cooking. You can fry food at the right temperature thanks to the unit’s ready light and 1700-watt immersion element that recovers oil temperature quickly.
This fryer boasts a one-year manufacturer’s limited warranty for your peace of mind.
- Has an extra-large 4.2-liter oil tank capacity
- Built with a cool-touch stainless exterior
- The hooks are dishwasher-safe and the oil tank is removable for easy cleaning
- Shuts down automatically
- Has great convenient features including ready light, adjustable timer, and see-thru window lid
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty
- Made with filter to reduce the smell of frying
- It takes longer time to heat
- The heating element has a short life span
- The lights are unclear
3. Cuisinart CDF-200
The Cuisinart CDF-200 has a large 4-quart oil capacity that can cook a maximum of 2.3 pounds of food. The stainless steel mesh basket is built with a cool-touch handle to prevent burns. The 1800-watt immersion element heats up and recovers quickly.
This unit comes with three baskets, one large for big batches and two small for frying two different types of food. Draining the oil out of the 1-gallon container will be easy due to its pouring spout design.
You can clean the unit faster with its dishwasher-safe oil container, frying basket, and lid.
- The mesh basket features a cool-touch handle
- The oil container has a pouring spout for convenience
- Heats up and recovers oil temperature fast
- Has many dishwasher-safe parts, makes it easy to clean
- Features three baskets for versatility
- Lightweight and portable
- It would have been perfect if the lid had a filter to reduce the smell
- The timer isn’t always correct
- The plug design is poor because it keeps on falling out
4. Hamilton Beach Electric
The Hamilton Beach Electric Deep Fryer has an extra-large food capacity of 12 cups and 4.5 -liter oil capacity, making it ideal to feed a crowd. It includes three baskets to give two cooking options: cook with the large basket to create one big batch or fry two different foods with the double baskets.
The adjustable timer is very convenient because it lets you set the time for frying plus it beeps when the time is up.
This electric deep fryer has an adjustable temperature, allows you to increase or decrease the temperature to give perfect frying results. Other convenient features include a lid with viewing window, power light, and ready light. The hooks of the baskets are dishwasher-safe, which makes them faster to clean.
- Has a very large capacity
- Built with many convenient features including three baskets, power light, and clear lid
- Features an adjustable temperature to fry food perfectly
- Easy to disassemble for cleaning
- Designed with a magnetic cord to pull off easily
- Automatically turns off for safety
- The extension cord seems to be short
- Grease tends to leak all over this unit
- Wish it had a filter to help minimize the smell of frying
5. Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric
The Presto 05420 FryDaddy is an efficient electric deep fryer with its 4:4 oil-to-food ratio that creates four large servings with just four cups of oil. This can save a ton of money on oil. It includes a handy scoop which lifts, drains, and serves while the snap-on lid stores oil with no smell or spills.
What I’m fancy about this fryer is its nonstick surface both outside and inside, making it easy to clean. This unit also features easy controls for convenience, and it automatically keeps the proper frying temperature effectively. This carries a 2-year limited warranty and a built-in thermostat to fry food perfectly each time.
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty• Only needs 4 cups of oil
- Its compact size can be easy to store under the sink
- Easy to use with its lack of buttons
- The price is good
- Can maintain the proper frying temperature
- The lid is plastic so it can’t be used while the fryer is cooking
- Washing is difficult with the plug fully exposed
- The nonstick coating peels off after several uses
My Best Deep Fryer
As it can be seen in the ratings above, T-fal FR8000 Deep Fryer is the best deep fryer because it has most of the features that I’m looking for. Along with many convenient features, like viewing window on the lid, it has a unique oil filtration system that saves oil for future use.
It’s also easy to clean with its nonstick interior and dishwasher-safe parts. Finally, it features stay-cool handles, a magnetic plug, and a one-year warranty.
Did you enjoy reading the reviews for the best deep fryer? To make a wise purchase, keep in mind the features that you need. Also, decide on the capacity that you want depending on the volume of food that you usually cook.
If you have any questions or suggestions, leave them in the comment section. Please share this article if you like it.