How To Make Buche De Noel
One of my most loved cakes to make during the Christmas holiday season is Buche de Noel cake. This is a traditional dessert of France, served near Christmas. In America, we know a Buche de Noel cake as a yule log cake.
I love this easy Buche de Noel recipe so much because it’s a foolproof way to make an impressive, festive cake without any fancy cake decorating skills.
If you are looking for the best Buche de Noel recipe, we've got an easy recipe for this French Christmas dessert that never fails to inspire joy during the holidays.
Christmas is coming, let’s make Buche de Noel to celebrate your great Christmas holiday.
Things You Need
Ingredients For Buche De Noel
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 ¼ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1.23oz unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free fresh milk
- 1teaspoon vanilla (5ml)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Chocolate buttercream for frosting
- 9.17oz unsweetened chocolate
- 0.88oz unsalted butter
- 1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream (35%-40% of fat)
- 1 ½ cup whipping cream or heavy cream (35%-40% of fat)
- 3 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
Rum coffee mixture to brush the cake
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rum wine
– Sakura leaf powder or sakura essence will enhance the sakura fragrance of your cookies, but if you don’t have it on hand, the cookie flavor is still good.
– I recommend unsalted butter for superior smell and taste of your cookies, but if you are on a diet or you prefer the taste of margarine, it still works well.
– You don’t have powdered/icing sugar? Don’t worry, granulated sugar can substitute. For it to be completely dissolved, you can use a food processor to grind it first.
Step by Step to make Buche De Noel Cake
Make the cake
1.Preheat the oven to 338°F and line the baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, cocoa powdered to a mixing bowl, mix well with a whisk then sift.
3. In another bowl, add in unsalted butter and fresh milk, microwave to melt butter, stir and keep warm.
4. Beat the eggs for about 5 minutes at low speed until they turn foamy, then add sugar and salt to the eggs, raise the electric mixer to highest speed and continue beating until the egg mixture turns glossy and stiff peach.
5. Divide the flour mixture into 3 portions, sift each portion to the egg mixture in turn. Carefully fold the flour into the whipped egg mixture.
6. Gently pour the bowl of fresh milk and butter to the egg mixture, mix well with a spatula.
7. Pour the batter into the baking pan, then gently spread it out.
8. Bake the cake at 347°F for about 20-25 minutes.
9. Take the cake out of the oven, invert it onto a clean and dry kitchen towel, remove the parchment paper, and roll up from the long edge. Place on a wire rack and leave until cool.
Make the Filling
1. Whip the whipping cream until it forms soft peach
2. Add in sugar and continue whipping, stop when it is stiff peach
3. Keep cold for about 30 minutes
Make Rum coffee
Mix Rum Wine, coffee and sugar. Set aside
Make Chocolate buttercream
1. Place chocolate and unsalted butter to a bowl.
2. Heat the whipping cream (but not bring to a boil) then pour into the bowl of chocolate and unsalted butter, mix until incorporated. Set aside.
1. Unroll the cake, remove the towel
2. Brush the Rum coffee to the surface of the cake.
3. Spread the filling over the cake.
4. Reroll cake then cut on a diagonal removing a 3-inch piece from each end for branches. Spread 1 tbsp of filling on each piece; press against long side of cake at opposite ends.
5. Leave the cake in refrigerator cake until the filling is set, about 60 minutes.
6. Lightly pour the chocolate buttercream over the cake.
7. Draw lines with a fork to resemble bark. Sprinkle powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar over the bark to make snow, assemble with pine cones or snow mushrooms.
How did your Buche de Noel cake turn out? I guess you had an awesome cake to welcome this Christmas holiday, right?
You can try with some other versions of Buche de Noel cake; chocolate cake will not be a bad idea.
Thank you for reading! If you have comments or suggestions, please feel free to leave them below. I love it when my readers share their stories and feedback!