How To Thicken BBQ Sauce? Easy Ways To Consider
This post is geared towards helping the readers to know some of the best ways on how to thicken bbq sauce along with some of the best options to use in making the sauce taste a lot better.
Do you love grilled meats? How about barbecue? If yes, then you also want something that will make this kind of food a lot delightful. That’s why you would want the best barbecue sauce as well. One of the most used cooking sauce by the majority of people is the bbq sauce due to its amazing taste.
It could add goodness to soups, veggies, meats and more. It as well comes in different flavors and forms however the taste might stay the same. But, there could be cases wherein it is too thin to your taste so you might want to make it a bit thicker. With that, being guided on how to thicken bbq sauce could be a great help.
What Is Barbecue Sauce?
Also abbreviated as BBQ Sauce, Barbecue Sauce is being used as a marinade, a flavoring sauce, and a topping or basting for meat cooked in the style of barbecue cooking such as chicken, beef ribs, and pork. It is also considered as a ubiquitous condiment in the US and also used on numbers of other foods too.
In addition to that, the ingredients will also widely vary within individual countries; however, most would include some variation on mayonnaise, tomato paste or vinegar as the base and also onion powder, liquid smoke, sweeteners like molasses or sugar and spices like black pepper and mustard. You should know the basic of barbecue first before learning how to thicken bbq sauce.
Why Is There A Need To Thicken BBQ Sauce?
There might be numbers of reasons as to why you want a thicker bbq sauce. Well, a thin sauce might not bind so well to anything that you are trying to slather the sauce on. However, if you have a thicker sauce, it is the best way to go in bum-based barbecue dish such as chopped pork.
And also, once you have a brisket sandwich, you also need to ensure that the sauce is thick and good. Indeed, a sandwich having a dripping sauce would just defeat the purpose of having meat in a bum. So, who wouldn’t prefer a thick sauce, right?
How To Thicken BBQ Sauce?
There are indeed numerous ways on thickening bbq sauce. In fact, most of the common ways are a lot easier than you ever imagine. Just simply have the needed ingredients and follow the steps properly to be successful in thickening the barbecue sauce. And these include the following:
Remove Excess Water from the BBQ Sauce
This one is the easiest and the simplest procedure that you might consider as this wouldn’t require you any ingredient at all.
Things Needed - You will only need the following:
- BBQ Sauce
Steps - Follow these steps:
- Pour the bbq sauce into a pan and put the pan on the stove.
- Bring this sauce to boil by setting the burner to medium heat.
- Reduce it to low heat and let it simmer up until the excess liquid evaporates.
- Just keep on stirring the sauce as for avoiding of burning it.
- If you already achieved the desired consistency, you should remove the pan from the burner.
- And allow the sauce to cool
The ingredients and process in thickening the sauce with the use of cornstarch are just simple.
Things Needed - There is a need for you to prepare the following:
- A cup of bbq sauce.
- A tablespoon of water.
- A tablespoon of cornstarch.
Steps - And be guided by these steps:
- Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch to a tablespoon of water as for removing unwanted lumps.
- Now, add the bbq sauce and wait until you achieve the desired consistency.
In most instances, flour is indeed underrated though it really has numbers of usages. And making a bbq sauce is one of the said uses.
Things Needed - Be prepared to have the following:
- A cup of bbq sauce.
- Two tablespoons of flour.
- ¼ cup of water.
Steps - Make sure to follow this procedure correctly:
- As for removing first the unwanted lumps, mix the ingredients well.
- After mixing, add now the sauce. You just have to adjust the amount of the ingredients once you need more sauce.
- The process is done once you achieved the desired thickness of the sauce.
The above - listed ways on how to thicken bbq sauce are just among the easiest options you might consider. The process and ingredients are too simple and a lot easier.
Thickening BBQ Sauce and Improving It's Base Taste
Aside from the easy ways on thickening bbq sauce, you might also consider some other options that will not just thicken the sauce but will also improve its base taste. Some of these tasty thickeners are the following:
Use Dried Apricots
Finely chopped dried apricots are great options to consider. You only need to chop them, put in the sauce and cook them until they soften. And also, there are numbers of benefits when it comes to the use of this dried apricot.
Things Needed - The necessary ingredients are as follow:
- A cup of dark molasses
- A teaspoon of chili powder
- A teaspoon of onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground allspice and ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of mace
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of liquid smoke
- 2 cups of ketchup
Steps - Below are the steps you should follow:
- Combine all the said ingredients in the saucepan.
- Set the burner to low heat.
- If the molasses dissolve, the barbecue sauce is considered to be ready to serve.
- Store the sauce in the covered glass jar or a plastic container.
- And finally, refrigerate.
Use Puree Vegetables
There are certain vegetables that once pureed could indeed make your barbecue sauce a lot thicker. They will provide the needed fiber in order to thicken the sauce at the same time would add some nutritional value as well. Some options to consider are the following:
- Tomatoes. As for achieving a smoother barbecue sauce, it is advised that you puree the tomatoes off the vine.
- Red Potatoes. These options could either be mashed or pureed resulting to a creamier texture.
- Peppers and Eggplants. Aside from adding an extra taste, both peppers and eggplants could support in terms of thickening the sauce.
Use Tasty Thickeners
The use of tasty thickeners is one of the best methods used by the majority. They will naturally thicken the sauce at the same time will add a savory taste to the sauce. In fact, they might as well improve the creaminess as well as the overall texture of the barbecue sauce. Some of these tasty thickeners are the following:
- Butter. You could butter the sauce up. The natural balance of water and fat of this butter are considered as a potent combination in order to create a creamy as well as a dreamy texture of the barbecue sauce. And also, you might want to lay off on margarine in the sauce and only replace it with the organic butter.
- Heavy Cream. Cream from the milk of cow, goat and some other natural sources could add more richness to the thickness of the sauce. There is just a need for you to add it to the sauce and simmer it up until your desired thickness.
Use Brown Sugar
This one is indeed a welcoming ingredient in terms of thickening the barbecue sauce. This one is always a favorite particularly by those that are in great favor with caramel flavor. Indeed, brown sugar would caramelize once cooked and once it caramelized it also thickens.
Those are some of the best options you might consider if you want a lot thicker barbecue sauce at the same time great tasting one too. Just be guided by these options on how you could make a thicker sauce that everybody would love.
Use Ketchup and Tomato Paste
Most of the barbecue sauces simply originate from tomato paste and ketchup. The same with cornstarch and flour, these two will definitely do a great job. And their slightly sour taste would go surprisingly well with the meat as well.
If you really want to taste the best of the barbecue, then you should also have the best sauce ever. For some, thin bbq sauce is already fine, but it would be a lot better to have a thicker bbq sauce.
You will delightfully enjoy your barbecue along with a thick barbecue sauce. Through the said guidelines above, you are indeed guaranteed with best ways on how to thicken bbq sauce. All you have to do is to prepare the things needed and follow the given steps.
Is the article helpful to you? We will be very happy to read your comments about the topic. Feel free to leave your thoughts below and hit like and share now!