Korean Sweet Rice Cake: An Easy and Delicious Recipe!
I am a huge fan of Korean food and I would always try to make Korean-inspired meals for my family. In this post, I’ll share with you something that I’ve been working on for months: the addicting Korean sweet rice cake!
Rice flour and red beans are very common in Korean cooking, and this is hands down my favorite sweet variety.
This is something that my kids and I can’t get enough of. The pillowy texture is amazing, and the sweetness of the mung bean mixture is honestly addicting. It took me a bit of time to get my desired results, but it was definitely worth all the effort.
If you’re up for the challenge, try it out! Here’s a recipe to help get you started.
Ingredients of Korean Sweet Rice Cake Recipe
- Glutinous rice flour, 12.5oz
- Red mung bean, 8.8oz
- Brown sugar, 1.8oz
- Matcha powder/cocoa, 1.8oz
- Grinding roasted black sesame, 1.8oz
- Desiccated coconut, 1.8oz
- Sugar, 2tbsp
- A bunch of salt
- Vanilla extract (optional)
Step by Step Directions
* Step 1: Make the Red Bean Paste
- Rinse the red beans and leave them to soak overnight.
- Heat red beans over high heat for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to low-medium and simmer for 50 minutes until tender.
- Use the food processor or hand blender or just simply use a wooden spoon to crush the beans, and brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract then mix until well combined, set it aside.
* Step 2: Make The Dough
- Place the glutinous rice flour in a bowl, add 2 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of salt <½ teaspoon>
- Slowly pour hot boiling water into a bowl little by little while you are whisking it with a spoon.
- Mix the dough by hand until the dough doesn’t stick to hand.
* Step 3: Make The Rice Balls
- Divide the dough into small 30-gram balls
- Roll each small balls into 8mm sheets.
- Put the red bean paste into the middle then close it tightly and place it on the plate. Continue with the rest,
Tips: While you are making the rice ball, the rest of the dough may get dried so you should cover the dough with a wet cloth.
* Step 4: Boil rice balls
- Prepare a big pot and place a lot of water and boil it.
- Carefully drop the rice balls into boiling water, When the rice cake balls float, it means they are cooked (it will take about 3-5 minutes).
- Prepare a big bowl with a lot of clean water and add some cubes of ice.
- Put the cooked rice cake ball into cold water for 1 minute, then take them out and drain.
* Step 5: Serve and Enjoy!
When the rice cake balls are dry and sticky, roll them in the matcha powder and transfer them to a plate. Serve with some hot or cold drinks <I suggest this refreshing homemade lychee drink> and enjoy!
Thank You For Reading!
There you have it--the delicious Sweet Korean rice cake that you can serve at your next potluck, or simply make at home.
I won’t lie--this is a pretty laborious recipe. There are lots of steps and processes involved, and you might need to do a few tries before you’re able to get the best results. However, the challenge is all worth it once you figure it all out! I assure you that it’s going to be a true labor of love.
How did your dish go? Let me know in the comments section below if you have any questions or suggestions. I love getting feedback from all of you! Thank you for dropping by, and best of luck on your dish!