5 Ideas That Will Make The Best Substitute For Tomato Paste
Juicy and nutritious! Absolutely what tomatoes are. Are you one of those who is very fond of tomatoes? I for one does not have a day without tomato in the kitchen. They are essential for me when talking about cooking. With its so many uses, I make it a point that they are always within my reach, may It be fresh, in a can or in a form of the paste. But what if you really ran out of stocks? Yep! Today we will learn all about a substitute for tomato paste. Ready?
First, what is tomato paste?
This one is known to be a regular pantry item which is either be bought in tubes or a can. But, the way that it is packed, its thickness and tomato concentrate remains. Tomato paste is made by cooking the tomatoes as for reducing the juice content and taking out the skin as well as the seeds before reheating it again reaching dense and heavy mixture.
Tomato paste is all over the market, advertised from different brands coming from different places. If you are the kind who likes it to be more fun and exciting in the kitchen, you can actually make your own. Pretty easy by the way, and you can guarantee it is made from the best tomato. Of course, it is made by you!
Now, 5 Ideas That Will Make The Best Substitute For Tomato Paste
As I had asked before, what if you ran out of tomato paste in your pantry? It always an initiative for a cook to look for substitutes. You can make one your style if you like but I have some ideas that I recommend you can try.
Tomato Paste Is Made From Tomato Sauce
Knowing the fact that tomato paste is made from tomatoes. Indeed the nearest substitute to consider might also be made out of tomatoes and tomato sauce is on top of the list. So how are you going to transform this sauce into a paste? Here’s what you need to do:
- First, you have to empty the tomato sauce into a thick-bottom saucepan. Bear in mind that a tomato is a fruit and so it contains natural sugars that are why you might want to use a pan with a thick bottom for preventing scorching.
- Now, let the sauce to warm over medium heat into a brisk simmer.
- Allow this sauce to briskly simmer for about seven minutes.
- The original amount must reduce by at least two-thirds.
- It might take about seven minutes however the best way to judge it is to consider its thickness.
You need to have a thick paste leftover. From an ounce can of tomato sauce, you might want a little over three ounces of thick paste and also seven to eight ounces from a 15-ounce can.
Make Tomato Paste From Tomato Puree
Compared to tomato sauce, tomato puree could be a lot thicker option making it as another great alternative. It is also even better due to its consistency. Simply follow the same method as done for the tomato sauce only that the length of time should be a lot shorter. There is a need for you to be consistent once stirring it as for avoiding burning the paste.
Enter your text here...
Creating Tomato Paste Out Of Diced Tomatoes In a Can
You must not worry if there are no tomato paste in your pantry rather grab a can of diced tomatoes. For ways on how to make a paste out of a can of diced tomatoes, follow these:
- You might want to use a big can of diced tomatoes wherein tomatoes are large, medium or small dice in a 14.5-ounce can.
- Simply open the can and deposit the tomatoes to the saucepan.
- You must not drain the can of the excess liquid and ensure that all contents have been deposited and brought to a boil over medium heat.
- There is a need to bear in mind that this one is a lot different than a sauce recipe since there will already be a fair amount of the watery and thin liquid already in the can and these diced tomatoes would begin to break down and quickly release more liquids.
- This mixture must be constantly stirred as for preventing the tomatoes as well as liquids from scorching or from tasting like burnt sugar.
- It might take around 10 minutes since the contents should reduce by two-thirds.
- And a 14.5-ounce can of the diced tomatoes would approximately yield six ounces of the thickened paste.
You just simply have to follow the said steps above, and you will have your tomato paste out of diced tomatoes.
Ketchup And Tomato Sauce Mixture
Both are known to be regulars in your pantry so grabbing them and making a tomato paste is definitely a great alternative. In fact, the simplest way of making an alternative is to mix tomato sauce and ketchup. There is just a need for you to be keen in terms of the ratio as for reaching the thickness that you actually need. Once you think the consistency isn’t right there yet, you might try cooking it the same with the pure tomato sauce recipe.
Homemade Roasted Tomato Preserves
Now, why not try some homemade recipes as for making tomato paste? This next option is considered as the best one. It is referred by many as made-from-scratch tomato paste and others would prefer this one as roasted tomato preserves.
Known to be better than store-bought tomato paste, this one needs both skill and time to prepare. It is a great alternative for tomato paste however it would drastically improve certain recipes that would need a standard paste.
First, consider the ingredients needed:
- 10 pounds of either San Marzano or Roma tomatoes or you might also use heirlooms but might yield only less paste.
- Two teaspoons of sea salt.
- Two to three tablespoons of olive oil.
- Half teaspoon of the citric acid.
So, for the process on how to make one, consider the following:
- Bring water to a simmer then add olive oil.
- Blanch then peel the skins.
- Shove the tomatoes through the food mill as for removing skins, seeds or anything other than the flesh and juice of the fruit.
- Knowing that you used 10 pounds of tomatoes, you would have enough pulp as for evenly spreading it on two baking dishes and also use two sheets with the pulp spread thin rapidly speeds up the roasting.
- Put the baking sheets into a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven.
- Bake the pulp and also rotate the sheets often up until the pulp turns into a paste.
- And if turns into paste, you have to combine the contents.
- The paste would approximately need three to four more hours of cooking.
If you follow these steps, the paste would reduce in size by half and would take on a brick color from being a liquid soaked up as well as natural reduction. The exact baking times would also vary depending on the size, composition, and type of the tomatoes. And divide the paste up to four-ounce jars. Finally, leave three-quarters of an inch in between the top of the paste and also the top of the jar for the techniques of preservation.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Tomato Paste?
Since a tube, if tomato paste can make a lot of recipes of your choice, it is best that you should know the health benefits you can get from eating it. You could also get creative by choosing as many healthy ingredients to go along with it.
- Nutrients- tomato paste has the very low-calorie level and absolutely fat-free. Highly rich in Vitamin A, C, K and B. It offers iron, potassium and other minerals as well.
- Antioxidants- the antioxidants found in tomato paste is bioavailable and has lycopene that lessens the risk of prostate cancer.
- Sunburn- Eating meals with tomato paste can protect us against flushing due to the exposure to ultraviolet rays.
The Different Ways On How To Use Tomato Paste
You might be surprised how useful tomato paste is when it comes to culinary arts. Tomato is one of the most popular regulars in the kitchen because of the so many ways it can be applied in terms of cooking. Learn the different ways on how to use them.
- Broth. Tomato broth is best served once hot particularly during cold weather. This is thicker than tomato soup.
- Pizza Sauce. You will never enjoy pizza without the use of tomato sauce.
- Dips. Tomato dip is so popular and is great for chips, salsa, and veggie finger foods.
- Soup. Tomato soup thick rather than broth is considered to be regular at every buffet
- Marinade. This one is definitely great as for grilling any type of meat.
- Color and Flavor Enhancer. This one is for a good kick on the taste and also to make food appealing to the eye.
- Salad. It is one of the many ingredients for numbers of salad dressing.
4 Tips On How To Store Leftover Tomato Paste
I know I am not alone when I say I have wasted a lot of tomato paste since I learned how to use it. I buy it in cans or tubes but I never really got to use it all in one recipe. All I’ve got to use is just a few tablespoons to make a perfect tasting meal. Putting it in the fridge after would mean I have to throw it a few days after. Searching for ways on how to save it, here are what I have come up with.
- Have you tried making tomato salt? Tomato salt can last an average of 1-2 months provided that you have stored in a sealed container. Use it to make some of your favorite recipes more tasteful. Never store left-over tomato paste in a can inside the fridge. Look for a glass or plastic container and transfer it.
- Make tomato sauce as much as you can. Since paste is concentrated, you can turn this into the sauce.
- Cook another recipe using tomato paste. Obviously, the easiest thing to do is to look for another recipe calling for tomato paste as one of the ingredients. Then you can have another meal rich with tomato goodness!
- Freeze it. If you freeze a tomato paste, it will last for almost 2 to 3 months. You just have to put the leftover paste in a small container then transfer them to freezer bags afterward.
To wrap it all up, you have learned what tomato paste is all about and all the stuff along with it. The substitute for tomato paste is quite easy to make so you need not worry and panic when you ran out of it. Hopefully, this article has been useful to you and has taught important information in connection to cooking.
If you have comments or ideas that are worth sharing, write it right here!