What Does Tofu Taste Like? The Amazing Answer And More
Have you ever tried a tofu? If you haven’t tried this kind of food, you might wonder what it tastes like. So, what does tofu taste like?
Here, I will help you find out the surprising taste of the tofu for you to have an idea if you haven’t tried it before. There are certain things that you need to know in order to learn the taste of tofu. So, continue reading on!
What Makes A Tofu?
Known to be a fantastic source of protein, tofu must be added to your diet. This food is a kind of edible legume that is a native to East Asia and used most of the time in Asian cuisine like soy sauce.
Tofu is made by curdling or coagulating and pressing the soy milk into blocks of curds. The way you make a cottage cheese cake from milk is the same how you make tofu.Typically, tofu looks like a bit strange that could even steer you away.
But, this food is becoming more and more attractive to those who are health-conscious and vegetarian. In fact, tofu has been eaten by the people for almost numbers of decades now.
What Does Tofu Taste Like?
Three factors will determine what does tofu tastes like. And these are the types of tofu, sensitivity to taste and the way how tofu is cooked.
Types of Tofu
There could be different kinds of tofu, and the majority has a bland flavor, but they have diverse textures that might change the way you taste it:
- Soft. This kind of tofu is so soft that is almost creamy, and it is mostly used for desserts as well as other dishes.
- Silken. This one is a lot firmer than the soft tofu, and it could be used in soups and most commonly used in concentrating the flavor of some other dishes.
- Porous. This tofu is preferred because of its flavor absorbing properties that make it so perfect for barbeques and broths.
- Firm. So far, this is the most commonly used and most favorite type of tofu and tofu that is used for frying. It has an earthy and Umami flavor but it could also absorb the taste of the other used ingredients.
- Smelly. This is the only tofu with a noticeable taste as it stinks, however, it has a fermented flavor which some people would love.
Sensitivity to Taste
For the majority of those who have eaten tofu, the raw one is pretty tasteless. Nevertheless, some would be remarkably sensitive to glutamates giving the tofu its flavor. With this, the tofu will not just have a noticeable taste, but it might as well have an unpleasant one.
How Is Tofu Cooked?
And of course, the way it is cooked plays a great role in determining what does tofu tastes like. Here are some of the common ways on how to cook the tofu:
- Pan Frying or Sautéing. With the use of a nonstick skillet that is preheated to medium, this is considered as an ideal way in order to cook tofu steaks or cubes which could be mixed with some other dishes like noodles or rice. The cooking time will be based on the thickness of the tofu however it could take for about 5 minutes per side for the bigger pieces.
- Blending. Another ideal option to add silkiness, as well as thickness to sauces, dressings, smoothies, puddings, mousse and more, is to mix silken tofu in the blender.
- Baking. Tofu could be used in most baking recipes like in lasagna rather than using a cheese, filling to cheesecakes, and a steak to most snacks and sandwiches.
So, considering these factors, what does tofu taste like? You can indeed determine the taste of tofu through the help of these factors.
Essential Tips to Enjoy the Taste of Tofu
Regarding cooking as well as eating tofu, the first thing to consider is that the taste definitely depends on what you will cook with it. By itself, tofu is commonly bland and mild tasting, so you can season it or marinate it with some flavors that will suit your taste.
Some few tips on how to do so are the following:
- If needed, drain the tofu. Through pressing and draining firmer, you are ensuring to get the most of the flavor from the seasonings and marinades.
- Properly cut the tofu. Too thick tofu could be bland in the middle, so smaller cuts could be better, still, it depends on the recipe.
- Season it. You might try using some seasonings like pepper, salt, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and dried herbs for its fuller flavor.
- Marinate your tofu. If you marinate tofu in flavorful juices, there is an assurance of a more delicious result. You could try different combinations of orange juice, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fresh grated garlic, honey, lime juice or fresh ginger.
If you are interested in the flavors of other foods, refer here: "What Does it Taste Like"
Now, have you tasted the tofu by just reading this article? Indeed, tofu is an incredible one when it comes to absorbing flavor, so it is ideal as a base ingredient in some recipes. There are ample numbers of recipes that will help you answer this query “what does tofu taste like.”
Send me your comments, questions, and suggestions in the comments section below. I’d love to hear from you!